free site statistics Fires of the Frozen Lower Blogosphere: I Can't Legally Buy Highlighters <bgsound src="http://members.cox.net/bphowe2/Music/frost.mid" loop="infinite" />

The Lower Blogosphere Burns with the Intensity of a Thousand Suns.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

I Can't Legally Buy Highlighters

Does anyone out there play Diablo? I've thought about buying it for some time, and so today I decided to finally buy the Diablo Battle Chest. I went into Wal-mart, picked up a copy, and went to pay for it. Then the trouble started. Diablo is rated “M” because it contains “Animated Blood and Gore”. When I pulled out my wallet, I was immediately asked for an ID to prove that I was over 18. This was, shall we say, problematic, because I never bothered getting a driver's license. And no, apparently they don't accept college IDs. Because without a driver's license, I could just be a fifteen year old. A six foot tall fifteen year old with my picture on a college ID. The only two IDs they accept are driver's licenses and non-driver ID things that are issued by the DMV. I ended getting Diablo anyway, though. Take that, Wal-mart!


But games that are rated “M” aren't the only thing you can't buy when they think you're under 18. And no, I'm not talking about alcoholic beverages. The cashier told me about how teenagers would buy white out, highlighters, and other office products, and smell them until they got high. As a result, the sale of white out and highlighters are restricted. Because in the eyes of the law, playing a computer game is the same thing as sniffing glue. And on top of all that, the sales tax was 8%.


So what I really want to know is who comes up with this stuff? Is this a state law or a federal law? Who do I go to to complain? Why am I paying taxes on things I can't buy? And since when does Wal-mart carry good computer games?

There have been 3 Cries of Anguish:

Blogger flatlander maliciously intimated...

I don't have a driver's lisence either, and before I got old and started balding, I had the same problem as you--though I've never run into difficulties buying white out. I suppose the Powers that Be simply want kids to go around with typos on all of their hand written reports. In fact, the only two things that got me through high school were skateboarding and liquid paper fumes. But we didn't realize their harmful effects back then. Now, even though I kicked the habit, I have to yuse the stuff al the time to corect al of my speling mistaycs.

8/17/2005 10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous maliciously intimated...

Do you mind if I put a link to your site on my blog, for greater ease of navigation?

8/17/2005 10:07 PM  
Blogger Gyrobo maliciously intimated...

Spiders always end up getting what's comming to them. It's called "karma".

8/21/2005 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Burn!